By 2g1c2 girls 1 cup
Early settlers of "Ashland Mills" decided that a nucleus was needed for their growing town. Outsiders were coming in for wool, lumber and flour, and in 1852, they formed "The Plaza". The Ashland area prospered in ensuing years with agriculture and peach and pear orchards, taking the place of mining in the Rogue Valley
Fire raged through the Plaza in 1879 destroying most wooden structures. This building was the first brick building constructed, housing a dry goods and clothing store. It remained at one story until 1900 when the second floor was added. Downstairs remained mostly the same for many years as Vaupels department store, with the most famous owners being Perrine family. Many Ashlanders still refer to it as the Perrine Building.
In 1986 it was brought back to the old brick walls and original fir floors. We added the fireplace, constructed the back deck over the creek, and reconstructed the front balcony to its original state. The back bar, which was found in the cellar, was used in a turn of the century ice cream parlor located downstairs. We built the front bar to match the quality craftsmanship.
We feel privileged to be a part of Ashland's future in a place that has shared so much of its past.